I’ve now had three weeks of experience with my Thunderbolt-attached QNAP TVX-h874T NAS. In contrast to my time with the OWC Mercury Pro U.2, it has been painless and glitch free.
- I can start and stop the computer, and the NAS connects automatically every time.
- I can start and stop the NAS, and it connects automatically every time.
- The NAS never drops offline for no reason.
- The NAS always correctly reports its status over both the Thunderbolt and 10GbE connections.
- There have been no software or firmware issues.
- There have been no licensing issues.
I consider the U.2 to be $5000 wasted. Based on my history with it, I can’t imaging trying to use it on any other computer. I will see if OWC wants to buy it back at a discount. As I’ve said before, I’ve had similar issues with OWC 4M2 M.2 enclosures, but they’re less expensive and thus it’s easier for me to make my peace with writing them off.
The tech I’ve been working with at OWC said they won’t buy the Mercury Pro U.2 back. He suggested I sell it on Ebay. Given the problems it’s given me, I can’t say I could do that in good conscience.
The OWC warranty doesn’t look like it would help.
Other World Computing, Inc. (“OWC”) warrants to the original purchaser of OWC Product that the Product is free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of three (3) years from the date of purchase. OWC will, at its discretion, repair a defective Product with new or refurbished parts, or replace the Product with the same or equivalent product, during the warranty period.
I don’t want a replacement unit. They don’t seem to think that there’s anything wrong with this one, so a repair seems unlikely, and paying for the shipping back and forth seems like throwing good money after bad. I think I’ll part the Mercury Pro out, and think three times before ever buying another product from OWC.