I got a malware infestation. Not a terrible one, just a browser hijacker, but one that proved really difficult to keep from re-installing itself. I decided to revert to a stored restore point. The system looked like it was hung, but I went off and did something else for a few hours, and it had finished. I logged on and looked for broken things.
I didn’t have to look far. Both Firefox and Chrome were damaged (but not IE). I reinstalled them.
Office worked, but said there was something preventing it from updating itself.
There are two Office repair options:
I tried the Quick Repair first. It didn’t work. I then ran the Online Repair. That took a while. When it was over, Office was unregistered:
I skulked around and found the Microsoft account I’d used to load Office in the first place. I checked and made sure it knew about the installation on this machine. Then I tried to register it using the same credentials. It rejected them.
I scratched my head and downloaded a new Office installation right on top of the old one. That worked. I lost no email messages, and all my customizations were intact. In the future, I think this is a better option than a web repair.
This is a special case of a image restoration breaking app licensing. In the past three or four years, I’ve never done a image restore that wasn’t in the end more trouble than just a clean OS install and manual program installs.